The Knotting Dictionary of Kännet
   Start page

Fisherman's Knot
Water Knot
Lark's head
Round Turn
Timber Hitch
Fisherman's loop
Clove Hitch
Jug Sling Hitch
Round hitch
Slippery round hitch
Pile Hitch
Two Half Hitches
Buntline Hitch
Monkey's fist
Diamond knot
Simple Simon Over
Double Simon
Simple Simon Under
Vice Versa

About Jan Korpegård


1. Normal Sheetbend
2. Slipped Sheetbend
The Sheetbend is a knot that you use to tie two ropes together. Good both for thick and thin ropes. Easy to untie. Use the Sheetbend (Becket Hitch) when you hoist a flag, and the loop already exist. The Slipped Sheetbend is even more easy to untie, just snatch the right end.
Post on facebook

Other Languages (Show)

Reccomended Books
At (USA):
The Ashley Book of Knots
The Marlinspike Sailor
Knot Tying: Advanced Knotting (CDROM)

User Comments (Hide)
Everything in this box is submitted by other users on Internet. I take no responsibility of the information.

Submitted by: Damir Visic
In Croatian it's "zastavni" ("flag rope")

Submitted by:

Submitted by: Marcos Villela
In Brazil it is called "nó de escota"

Submitted by: DonDomingo
This knot is very usefull to tie two ropes of diferant thickness. If you wrap it around one more time you would create a double sheep bend which is much stronger.

Submitted by: Edgar
En Mexico "Vuelta de Escota" It is used to tie two ropes together with diferent grossor

Submitted by: Sindre
In Norway this is called FLAGGSTIKK

Submitted by: JK
This knot is much stronger than Reef Knot also on ropes with same thickness.

Submitted by: Shay Tzinder
In Hebrew this knot is called "Orggim" ("Sewing Men").

Submitted by:
I can't remember the name of it but with a turn around the bight before passing it through is even stronger and is used for attaching anchors to there painters (Rope)

Submitted by: Andrew
That would be the Double Sheet Bend " " (no name)
You can also tie a Triple Sheet Bend.

Submitted by: Gyorgy Robert
In Hungary it is a "zaszlos csomo",say:
zaslos chomo.

Submitted by: A Jalil A Samad
in bahasa malaysia this is called Bunga Keti

Submitted by: Cheetah
In Chimpanzee, this knot is called "OOH-OOH-OOH!!!"

Submitted by: Ur
In Hebrew its called- "kesher orgim", weaver's knot.

Submitted by: BBG
In Flemish (Dutch) it's called "Weversknoop"

Submitted by: SM
This is the same knot as the Bowline, and is also known as a Weaver's Knot; it is used by weavers because it is the smallest knot you can tie.

Submitted by: Absalon
In faroees this knot is used to raise our flag "Merkið" and its name is "Flaggknútur" (knot=knútur)

Add more info on this knot!
Please submit only information that could be useful for others about this knot. Feedback and questions should be directed to and for common opinion you should use the guestbook.

If you find anything on this page that you think should be removed, please send a mail to and tell me which knot and which text that should be modified.
Your Name:

More information about Sheetbend:


In Association with